January 9, 2013

some quiet paintings


"I.B. looking in" 14x18" oil on canvas




















In November I finished a group of smaller paintings. I wanted them to be small and intimate, to have a quietness. So, at least at the beginning, the colors were pretty calm and the edges pretty soft--sort of a modernist reference to Vermeer. I had to use smaller brushes then I have for a long time—so that was good. I had to paint slowly and for some reason I didn't get tired of the work--which sometimes happens to me. For the first time I had paintings framed. I wanted to shelter the image, to protect it's solitude. I notice that as I painted the colors got stronger and the edges harder, as if I was reverting to some kind of painterly habit.

"I.B. looking out" 14 x 18" oil on canvas.




I notice that as I painted the colors got stronger and the edges harder, as if I was reverting to some kind of painterly habit.

"I.B. with avocados" 14 x 18" oil on canvas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers