September 30, 2012

alive...







































Nothing that’s alive holds still. Life is in motion and our seeing is always fragmented, never complete.

I want to paint life the way I see it.  My goal as a painter is not to “freeze” a moment. I want to bring life and breath into an image. For me, a good painting keeps opening up. It involves the viewer by letting the eyes do some of the work.

Painting is something I do with my body, and it shows. I paint with energy and I don’t try to hide that. You can see how the brush moves and how the paint was put on and scraped off. Painting, like life, is messy.

I usually paint the human body. I find the human form both irresistible and impossible to paint. And so every day I struggle to respond to its exuberant wild skittishness, its burden of grief and praise, its extravagant, quivering life.

about me

My Photo

These studio notes are scraps of poetry and ideas that feed my work as a painter. I hope they establish a bit of context for the paintings and my intention in making them. Whatever I paint, I’m trying to create some space for us to sit with the questions that are not meant to be answered.

Followers